Tuesday, June 16, 2009

 

Seminars and wealth

I see some people on my Facebook attending the Millionaire Mind Intensive seminar last weekend. The seminar is germinated from a No.1 Best Seller book. Now the same group are talking about "Never Work Again" seminar in Singapore.

On the advertisement of the Millionaire Mind Intensive it claimed that it will change your financial life forever. This to me is wishful thinking!  There are organizers who organize them as a business to make money, but then there are professional seminar goers attending for the sake of attending.  If it is so easy, there will be no poor people anymore. Just attend these expensive seminars and we will all be laughing to the bank!

I have not really been attending a church of late for some years now, but do go to prayer centre on Monday nights  when I am back in KL. I use to attend a church that preached a lot of prosperity and subscribed to it deeply then. 16 year old to 80 year olds will attend the Entrepreneur For Christ meetings. There was the constant messages that God will grant you that breakthrough, your big deal is around the corner and God has a jubilee year for you. Then they ask you to sow money into the church fund, the building fund and more funds. (by the way, nearly every church in town has a building project and not small projects). But the truth is most of them never made it big in business or their careers. Some had a sense of invincibility that they cannot fail and ventured out into business (without the necessary skills) and flopped. In fact, my non-Christian friends are more financially successful in comparison.  

I have nothing against prosperity and believe God does bless. Some of these prosperity churches I feel are inward focus. You can feel the "bless me" syndrome. All focus is on God blessing you which I am sure He does, but too much preoccupation with His blessings can be dangerous. A lot of people are left disappointed. There is no skin off the pastors nose, as surely by sheer percentages, a few will make it and then give their testimony (maybe 5%) for whatever it is worth. Those that are still struggling are told that you must keep believing and not give up or your time will come soon. I have seen friends sell their house etc to put food on the table as they have not gotten any breakthroughs after 5-10 years.

Even though the building funds which can go into dozens of millions are raised, then there will still be another building fund for another project that the Lord is supposedly planning. Then the pastors will speak to the congregation on sowing and reaping to raise funds. They may have big buildings but I never felt cared for when I had problems or needed someone to hear me out and pray for me.

Yet I am encouraged to see God pulling out some church leaders to start prayer centers and outreach centers to reach the masses and attend to peoples' needs.  I am convinced that this is where my funds will go in the future. The current churches are too locked into their ways, while some are contended with big building projects or to upgrade their sound system to compete for members. They are not preparing the church for the bridegroom's (Christ) return.




Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?